Egusi Pepper soup #stayhome #withme #cookwithme


This soup today having Egusi as it's base is not known in my family compound as Ofe Iroro or Itete but it's named after my Grandmother's neighbour and we grew up knowing the soup as OFE NNE NKANKA.
Yes! This is Egusi Peppersoup but I believe that for it to be known as Ofe Nne Nkanka in my Grandmother's household, She must have cooked it a lot
One day in my growing up years after cooking and eating this soup severally, i thought to ask my mother why we call it Ofe Nne Nkanka... My dear Foodaholics, it is an "Abiamo" story, meaning the story of motherhood. Nne Nkanka was a mother of many Children with very little resources but regardless of her estate, she was going to feed her children daily and make it yummy as well. This recipe requires just one cup of melon seeds, few peppersoup spices, pepper and seasoning to taste and any Crayfish. Any additional meat is just EXTRA. Egusi Peppersoup has a way of gaining volume, that just 1 cup of Egusi, with the appropriate peppersoupy water can feed about 6 people for dinner and breakfast the next morning (Nni Ora) After, i heard the story, i decided to put some respect to the NNE NKANKA Soup because to me, it is not just another easy recipe that i can tweak or deck up with all the extra meat or "obstacles" i have, but it is a recipe that reminds me Please Share, Comment and give me a 👍. Any Question? Please ask in the comment section below.

Comments