OFE ERURUSHIN (SCENT LEAVES SOUP)


Told ya i was going to be cooking up some Grandma's memories "Based on Logistics" of those snails i bought in the market. (Errrmmm #TeamEfe, I hope say una dey send out those votes o, i want to be crossing leg and sipping Tea as our guy carry the 25 Million on Sunday o)
Ehen! Back to our soup. So, Scent Leaves soup is the first soup i ever cooked, say about 8years old in my Grandma's Kitchen.

This was my favorite soup then, next to Banga soup. Grandma had made Ofe Ikaka (Dried Okra Soup) but i wanted Scent Leaves soup. Prior to that day, Nne as we called her will always make whatever soup i wanted. As a child probably because i knew i will get attention i was super choosy with her (dividends of a first Grandchild).
However, on that day, Nne Change am for me, "Omeni ye ri ko ofe'ni nte, Ye shime nkei" Meaning... If you wont eat this soup, go cook your own.
Voila! That was the password and key to my journey of food and Cooking. With her help i picked the scent Leaves from the Backyard, she gave me dried chilli Pepper, a fistful of Egusi (Melon Seeds), Orioma,
Crayfish and one dried fish from the metal basket she hangs above her fire place.
See groove, Na so i begin grind all the ingredients (Except the dried fish) on top that her grinding stone, the pot hole in the middle of that grinding stone is evident that its been grinding things since 19 kiridi no date.
Sharp and Steady, in minutes i have smoothened out my ingredients on the stone. Grandma put them in a small pot for me and balanced it on her 3 legged fire place, arranged the firewood properly, threw in the washed fish and she said, " Lodi eben le fhua eyan" in English... Sit down here and watch it.
I sat happily, excited about my soup, my first official soup.... i tell this story over and over again, its been so many years now but that was my initiation into the kitchen.
I cooked up those memories yesterday evening again and it tasted as good as the first time, with the same excitement and honour to the memories of the Sweetest Grandma ever, popularly known as NNE OLIGIE.
Scent leaves, Orioma seeds, Uda pods, Yellow hot pepper, Onions, Crayfish, Snails

Egusi ( just a fist full)

Blend all ingredients except Uda and Meat ingredients

Pour into a pot and add the blended Egusi which will serve as some sort of thickene

Add half cooking spoon of oil, salt and seasoning. Wash Uda pod, open and remove the seeds then throw pod into soup

Add Fish, snails etc ( your favourite meat ingredients) and allow to cook till Oil settles on top

Soup is ready. It's not only delicious but this soup is packed with lot of health benefits. Helps inhibits growth of Cancer cells, stop stomach upset and clears common Cold.

Thank you Nne for cooking everyday, for initiating me at the right time and for making sure food was never an issue at home and for those around you (keep resting in God's bossom).... I know you are dammmmmnnnnn proud of me 
@geenamoore #Iyaibeji

Comments

  1. Madam chop belle full aka iya ibeji, you are part of those who don't want me to succeed in my weight loss agenda,for this irresistible meal you are enticing me to cook, good job I must say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this soup and am gonna give it a trial. Thanks and keep the good work

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comment will be visible after approval