FRENCH ONION SOUP/WIN A CARTON OF SYRAH WINE



FRENCH ONION SOUP
INGREDIENTS
·         4 Medium to Large onions
·         Oil
·         Sugar               ½ teaspoon
·         Black pepper  
·         Salt to taste

THE DUCOURT ESTATES AND MY FRENCH ONION SOUP
One of the biggest exports from Bordeaux is wine and there is no way you get to visit Bordeaux, France that you do not get drawn in to the whole wine atmosphere, the beautiful vineyards adorning the country sides are a sight to behold.
Having visited Chateau Lagarette, it was time to visit the Ducourt Vineyards. I met Jonathan Ducourt at a private dinner at the prestigious La Tupina which was hosted by Chef Jean-Pierre Xiradakis, we had a super evening on that Dining table located in his cellar.
Amidst lots of chats, I was enlightened on the wine business in Bordeaux, Jonathan and Jean Pierre have some wine partnership going for them and need I forget the pretty Lily Li Juan, winner of the musical competition “the Voice” China. She was on that table also filling me in on international business, The Voice and making the evening worth the while.
So, I set out some days later to visit Jonathan’s Ducourt wine Estate, I was awed, I was thoroughly awed, from meeting other members of the Family, to seeing the Factory, walking down the Garden, the flowers, ooh I must not forget the fountain with the gold fishes, the free range chickens and the robust pumpkins…. The Ducourt Estate is definitely somewhere I would like to visit again. The scenery is so cool that movie makers actually use the estate for their movie locations
Jonathan took his time to enlighten me on wine making and the process of making Rose really caught my fancy (as my Naija music artists won’t stop singing about Rose). Anyway, as I learnt the processes, we were wine-tasting alongside. I had so much fun at this over 100 year’s old winery, which has passed down from generation to generation, still waxing strong and willing to expand beyond borders.
I got inspired in so many ways but one of my inspirations is making French Onion soup with some wine, so I will share this recipe with ya. Meanwhile watch this video and tell me what helps the onions Caramelize faster in this French Onion Soup recipe
FRENCH ONION SOUP

INGREDIENTS
·         4 Medium to Large onions
·         Oil
·         Sugar               ½ teaspoon
·         Black pepper  
·         Salt to taste
·         Red wine         half Cup
·         Meat Stock (Preferably Beef)
·         Seasoning
·         French bread
·         Parmesan Cheese
PREPARATION
  
Chop onions thinly and add 3 table spoons of butter in a pot. Allow the butter melt and heat up before adding the chopped onions and a table spoon of sugar, this is to make the onions caramelize faster, cover the pot and allow it caramelize for about 10-20mins
As soon as it caramelizes (brown but not burnt), add your favorite spices, Black pepper and the red wine, cover and allow wine to reduce to at least half. Then add the meat broth, salt to taste and allow it cook for another 10 mins minimum.
Make croutons by coating a pan with butter, add some garlic and probably little seasoning, add the bread and toast.
Scoop soup into soup bowls, top with the croutons and grated parmesan cheese. Pop into the oven for 10 mins and as soon as Cheese is golden brown, the soup is ready. Soup should be extremely hot at this point so allow to rest a bit before digging in.
This is super enjoyable on a very cold day.
So for our Give away Today, Our question is what helps the onions Caramelize faster in this French Onion Soup recipe? The 1st and 15th correct answer on the comment box on www.foodiesandspice.com gets to win a Carton of Queen of Syrah Wine.
 

Comments

  1. Sugar makes the onions caramelize faster.*fingerscrossed*
    Peacenwaokocha@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Peace! Can you please send you contact Number to foodiesandspice@gmail.com.
      Thank You

      Delete
  2. The sugar added to the frying onion in the butter

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tablespoon of sugar does the magic,it absorb moisture from the onions making it caramelize faster

    ReplyDelete
  4. cooke jane ejovwoke23 October 2015 at 17:55

    The tablespoon of sugar does the magic,it absorb moisture from the onions making it caramelize faster

    ReplyDelete
  5. cooke jane ejovwoke23 October 2015 at 17:58

    The tablespoon of sugar does the magic,it absorb moisture from the onions making it caramelize faster

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sugar is the answer

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sugar is the answer

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sugar makes the onions caramelize faster.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enter your comment...ts d sugar

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello there! I simply wish to offer you a huge thumbs up for the great
    information you have got here on this post. I'll be coming
    back to your blog for more soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I’m not that much of a internet reader to be honest but your sites
    really nice, keep it up! I'll go ahead and bookmark your site to come back later
    on. Many thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been surfing online more than three hours today, yet I never
    found any interesting article like yours. It's pretty worth enough for me.
    In my opinion, if all web owners and bloggers made good content as
    you did, the internet will be much more useful than ever before.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If you are going ffor moost excellent contents like I do, simply pay
    a vjsit this web site everyday for the reason that
    itt provides feature contents, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't know whether it's just me or if everyone else experiencing
    problems with your site. It seems like some of the written text within your content are running off the screen. Can somebody else
    please provide feedback and let me know if this is happening to them too?
    This might be a problem with my browser because I've had this
    happen previously. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  15. I’m not that much of a online reader to be honest but your blogs really nice, keep it up!
    I'll go ahead and bookmark your site to come back later on. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is my first time pay a visit at here and i am
    truly impressed to read everthing at single place.

    ReplyDelete
  17. An impressive share! I have just forwarded this onto a colleague
    who was conducting a little homework on this. And he actually
    bought me breakfast simply because I found it for
    him... lol. So allow me to reword this.... Thanks for the meal!!
    But yeah, thanx for spending some time to talk about this
    matter here on your web site.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comment will be visible after approval