#Frenchfusion: Tasting Caneles

Roland and I tried to locate Marie-Christine’s house as we drove through the streets. Finally we arrived, and my heart skips a bit, skipped more of excitement, am finally meeting her. She has a fantastic voice on phone for a woman of her age. She must have been a stunner in her early years, am about to confirm the stunner part when I finally see her.

Ooh my God, I wasn’t wrong about the stunner part, she is prettyyyyy for her age, very pretty and the voice certainly matches the face and physique. She gave me a big hug, the traditional kisses and then comes those sweet giggles.  Bienvienue! Gina she said. Merci beaucoup Madam I replied.  Roland helped with the bags then he mounted his Camera. We moved over to the kitchen area, and as we walked in I can’t help but notice this beautiful apartment, with the little art pieces and books here and there. Walking from the entrance to the kitchen area it was clear that the person who lives here or those who have lived here are lovers of the art and Books.

I sat down, and Marie-Christine goes straight to the kitchen, comes back with a bottle of water and the famous Bordeaux cake “Caneles”.  I have heard about this cake from my friend and the technicality of the recipe, I am finally going to be tasting it, (I knew this quest was going to be eventful for my taste buds, am going to be tasting a lot of things I have fantasized and one of them are oysters, yes raw oysters, I have always wondered how I will eat that) I thanked her for the cake and she immediately began to explain to me how special this cake is, and how it is native to Bordeaux.

I had a surprise for Marie-Christine, I am a “Bendel” girl, we never go empty handed, I have seen my grand –parents do that, I have seen my parents do that, you never go with nothing (you can see the reason for my heavy luggage’s now huh?...lol ). So tucked in my bag was this beautiful Red Handmade Jewelry set I had picked up from Lolyne stores. Now if I do not know anything about fashion, I know red looks good on a white skin. She loved it! She adorned it immediately and true to my thoughts it looked good on her skin. C’est gentile Gina, meaning “you are so kind”, she said.


Marie brought out her dictionary, we are both are in the same state, she understands fair English and I also fairly understand French in context, so this dictionary was going to bridge the communication gap as we share the house for the next few days. We began our round table meeting, apparently, Marie is not only going to be my host, she also will be my location Manager.

Comments

Post a Comment

Your comment will be visible after approval